World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation (WPMSF
) is an organisation to promote, educate, and further the interests of the sport of open water swimming
. It devises and publishes information on open water swims
and marathon swimming
competitions focusing on the safety and integrity of the events and for the protection and promotion of open water swimmers
. It welcomes all open water swimmers of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to its global membership.
The aims and purposes of this Federation are to:
- further the interests of the sport of marathon swimming and open water swimming through international publicity,
- serve as a central collection and dissemination agency for records of all marathon swims and of all swimmers regardless of their national origin or Federation affiliation and of all courses over which races or individual attempts are held,
- be a forum in which matters relating to improvement of the sport, including all aspects of safety, of open water swimming can be discussed and suggestions offered to organizers of open water swims wherever held throughout the world,
- serve as a central collection point of all the opinions, desires, and recommendations by professional marathon swimmers,
- devise, publish and promote guidelines for the conduct of open water swims and marathon swimming competitions focusing on the safety and integrity of the races and for the protection of swimmers of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
Membership in the WPMSF shall be in two categories:
- Voting Members, and
- Non-voting Members